[RESOLVED!]Problem with Fedora Core 4[/RESOLVED!]

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

[.root/fail]

[RESOLVED!]Problem with Fedora Core 4[/RESOLVED!]

Postby [.root/fail] » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:34 am UTC

No, I won't upgrade, not until I get this problem fix.

I have some files, VERY IMPORTANT FILES on the hard drive. I can take the drive out, yes, but, I can't set it up as a slave drive, I know how to do it, it just wasn't made to be anything but a master drive.

I was very careful and considerate of what I did, but I suppose somehow I accidentally deleted some core files for the system to run on. The hard-drive was pretty much only large enough to hold the OS. So I'd always get errors saying I can't log into KDE because there's too much info on the hard-drive [that's a Bull Shit reason for not being able to log in, if you ask me], so I'd have to log into Gnome to delete files to then log into KDE
Spoiler:
[Gnome had some system error that occured a long time ago, the reson I don't use it. I tried to install frostwire as request of an ex-girl friend long, long ago. So when installing that, it then messed up the computer to where it would flash on and off the taskbars at the top and bottom of the screen several times, then you'd not see it again. When logging in it would do the same flashing and not let you see it again.]
Anyways. I was deleting the folders to some programs not needed and never used, must have made a mistake, I honestly don't see how -_-;;

When starting the computer now I go through the normal log in info being displayed on the screen, but before it goes to the splash screen to enter the password I get these [I made these in MSpaint, they look pretty much as the error messages do]:

And after those, this is the "splash screen" now. There is no graphic background or pretty format to the window. With the window below I can choose the options... like change language, see the drop down of options for all of the things, session, etc. But when I click on the field for the password, nothing happens, it's ilke it's just an image, not a field, so I can't enter a password. This is where the error is that is the main problem: I can't enter a password, and thus, can't log into anything.

Please, someone help. The computer is a Fedora Core 4 [Gnome, KDE],pentium 3, CD-ROM, Floppy Drive, internet connect able [though, I am unsure I can access it considering how the system is now], and it also have a microuniverse contained in my files folder.

The computer I have now, that works has floppy drive, pentium 4, DVD-ROM, CD-ROM REWritable fast speed, and too much crap on the hard drive that slows it down.

But yeah, I'm not sure what to do, like what CD to get and from where, or how to access a prompt on the FC4 computer that would let me get things fix. The biggest thing is, I NEED TO FIX IT WITHOUT IT OVERWRITING ANY OF MY NEEDED FILES.

[root/fail] wrote:I refuse, at all cost, to lose those files.
Last edited by [.root/fail] on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Yes, well that's a compelling argument; but you forget one fundamental fact, you suck!

[.root/fail] wrote:Only a loser would sig themselves...

Ephphatha

Re: Problem with Fedora Core 4

Postby Ephphatha » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Two options I can think of. Download a liveCD, boot from it, and see if you can copy your important files to an external drive or maybe over the network (not sure of the functionality of a LiveCD, may or may not be possible).

Otherwise, unplug the drive and plug it into another *nix machine with two IDE channels, make sure it's plugged into the master position on the second bus and make sure it is last on the boot list. You should be able to access it easily enough, but I'm not to sure about any precautions you'd have to take when mounting drives as the most experience I've had with *nix OS's is a freenas install. (I'd say don't try and mount the OS partition...)

Edit: The second option will mean that you unplug the DVD-ROM which I assume is set as master, and plug the HDD in it's place.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Are you sure the password field is broken? If you just click on it, type, and hit Enter does it work anyway?

Using a live CD to copy stuff would be the best idea for recovery. Trying to install it as master in another machine means you'll have to mess with things to get it to boot, which might break more things.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:21 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Are you sure the password field is broken? If you just click on it, type, and hit Enter does it work anyway?
Reading that just makes me want to scream out in rage "YES, I AM SURE THE F***** FIELD IS BROKEN!" But I don't mean any flaming, fighting, negative things to you. *hugs* The Ok button is also shadowed, grey, whatever, well, of course, since there's no password entered at all to okay.

Yeah, I pass over it and nothing responds or interacts with the cursor, I click on it, nothing happens. I press ctrl+U or alt+U [whichever it is to initiate the command] and it does nothing. It's like the part of the code, specifically for the password field is missing. Which I'll illustrate with these psuedocodes[yes, they mix batch with some made up code, forgive me.]:

WORKING CODE:
echo Welcome to [.root]
echo------------------------------------
echo Username:
create password box graphic.png/uservariable_graphic
uservariable: password field
if "thisismahpassword" goto login
:login

NON-WORKING:
echo Welcome to [.root]
echo------------------------------------
echo Username:
create password box graphic.png/uservariable_graphic
:login

============================================

Ok... it makes sense to me... basically, it loses the ability to process or recognize that there is a field where it shows it, it's like it's purely graphics when it needs an underlying invisible box that is what you actually click on and type in.
Yes, well that's a compelling argument; but you forget one fundamental fact, you suck!

ubergeek42

Postby ubergeek42 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

Well, I'm not sure how to fix your problem, but you can probably switch to a text console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2. From here you should be able to login, and do whatever kinds of file management you would like. (To switch back to your GUI, press ctrl+alt f7, usually). There are more terminals avialable at F2 - F6 usually, and F1 probably, but no guarantees.

I would guess that fedora comes with ssh, and it's likely setup(This is pure speculation, as I haven't ever touched fedora; the internet seems to imply that it has one, and that it is enabled by default), you can try connecting to it with putty on windows, and if that works, you can copy your files off it using filezilla(or any other reasonably decent ftp program that supports sftp)
To see if this is a possibility, switch to a terminal in fc4 and login.
Type the command "netstat -l | grep ssh", and you should see a line like this if you have an ssh server running:

Code: Select all

tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN

If this shows up, then you have ssh and you can connect to it from your windows computer. But first you need to figure out the ip address of the fc4 box, to do this, type:
ifconfig in the terminal.(you may need to use sudo ifconfig or sudo /sbin/ifconfig, or just /sbin/ifconfig if you don't have sudo). Either way you will see eth0 on the left and a bunch of information on the right, with your IP address listed. So now on the windows box, get filezilla(or any other reasonable ftp program), and connect to that ip, on port 22, with the username/password that you usually use to login in fedora. Copy whatever files off the machine that you want.

If ssh didn't show up with the netstat command, it might just not be started(try starting it by running sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start), or its possible that it's just not installed. If it's not installed you will need to find another way to get your files off the machine, though I personally think putting the hard drive in another computer would probably be easiest.

Hopefully that will help get you on the right track.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:49 am UTC

Thankyou, everyone, for the help. Especially you, Ubergeek, that sounds like what may work out for me.

I haven't fixed anything yet, because I haven't been able to try any suggestions yet, I'll try everything I can tonight and report back tomorrow.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:48 am UTC

I figured it would be okay to double-post in the case of new information, and in order to bump this to get the attention of those involved once more. If my double-post still is a bad thing, I will heed to a warning from a mod.

Ok, getting some progress here. I have yet to make a connection though.

I have the IP adress for FC4-Box, I can log into the text-based OS/command prompt of Fedora Core and can execute commands (not familiar with linux commands). I also got Filezilla running. I currently have the linux computer hook up to the net via the lan connection on the router for the house network.

Spoiler:

and the messages I'm getting so far are:

Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Connection attempt failed with "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host".

I got on command prompt on XP, I pinged the address and it's there, it's connected to the net, it replies, it's real. I don't know why it cannot connect though.

If someone offers help and that doesn't help, I'll find a way to make a video so others can see what is happening on both computers.

EDIT1:Ok...

telnet [IP ADDRESS]
Connecting To [IP ADDRESS]...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed

EDIT2:Woops, the first connections I tried were on port 20 by accident, below is port 22
[IP ADDRESS]
Response: fzSftp started
Command: open "root@[IP ADDRESS]" 22
Error: ssh_init: Host does not exist

All I can do is ping both computers from eachother, but either... I don't know how to do any of it, or they won't connect on other ports like for telnet or FTP ports... I'm siding with--- I'm making mistakes.
EDIT3:

[root@localhost ~]# yum list
Repository extras already added, not adding again
setting up repositories
k12ltsp 100% |========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released

Right, I think there are some faults with this connection... it's not complete. That is, FC4 is connected to the lan, but it won't connect right to the internet, which may also be why I can't do much with it except ping it

I think it's worth worry also: would it mess things up with filezilla trying to connect if I'm logged into root on the FC4 box? Would it be able to access it if you're logged in alread?

ubergeek42

Postby ubergeek42 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Yes, it should be able to login when you are looged in on the FC4 box. It is possible that root logins are not allowed over ssh, so you might try logging in with your regular username in filezilla.

I don't have any ideas for why it is giving you that error message, maybe download putty and see if it can connect just via ssh to the FC4 box.

kaitou

Postby kaitou » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Given the "Host does not exist" and "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host" errors, it sounds like it isn't fully on the net. Also, it'd be nice to know what the messages are in response to (i.e. to what command with what options?). Odd that it replies to pings but other programs claim their is no such address. Do you have a firewall running on the FC4 machine? That could also be blocking access to certain ports and result in the aforementioned errors.

Did you try ubergeek's suggestion of hitting ctrl-alt-F2 (or ctrl-alt-F1)? That should give you a command-line login prompt. No network required.

Otherwise, I'd suggest booting the FC4 install disk in rescue mode and fixing things from there, or, at least, doing a backup of your important files.

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

ubergeek42 wrote:It is possible that root logins are not allowed over ssh, so you might try logging in with your regular username in filezilla.
Root is the only login name >///<

kaitou wrote:Given the "Host does not exist" and "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host" errors, it sounds like it isn't fully on the net. Also, it'd be nice to know what the messages are in response to (i.e. to what command with what options?). Odd that it replies to pings but other programs claim their is no such address. Do you have a firewall running on the FC4 machine? That could also be blocking access to certain ports and result in the aforementioned errors.

As mentioned, I'm sure it's all human error. I may not have entered some command to allow connections, establish a connection or some only-god-knows-what command.

I don't know if there's a firewall running on FC4box, it's possible, I thought that linux always did. But from the command lines? It's been so long since I've used that computer I'm even more of a newb to it then when it was working.

kaitou wrote:Did you try ubergeek's suggestion of hitting ctrl-alt-F2 (or ctrl-alt-F1)? That should give you a command-line login prompt. No network required.

I have been doing that, and that works. I have used FC4bx to ping XPbox, as well as XPbox to ping FC4box.

kaitou wrote:Otherwise, I'd suggest booting the FC4 install disk in rescue mode and fixing things from there, or, at least, doing a backup of your important files.
I don't have one of those disk and don't know where to get the stuff to make one.
===================================
As said, it can't connect to the yum list, does anyone know how to fix the connection? maybe it's a problem with it going through a network it wasn't installed into, just plugged in... so I'll give it a try otherwise...

I will edit this post later with an update, if no one replies before then.

EDIT1: Ok, I hooked the FC4 computer up to the internet like I used to connect it, and it still doesn't connect right. It's like when it shows on the network as hooked up, and it can ping, but it can't do anything else. So maybe files for connecting to the net got deleted in my last deletion run, and yet, I wonder how in hell it could happen considering I was getting rid of what I believed to be pointless programs and games, maybe I got something internet wise in there, I have no idea.

Here's what happens when I have it hooked up like before, when the computer used to work and was on the net. [off the network, getting old feed. Besides, it gets these same messages when on the network. So I think the problem is file based, I think the connection is fine.

Fedora Core Release 4 (Stentz)
Kernel 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 on an i686

localhost login: root
password:
Last login: sun Nov 9 15:51:58 on tty2
[root@localhost ~]#yum list
Setting up repositories
K12ltsp                             100% |==========================|1.1 kB    00:00
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released
[root@localhost ~]# pidgin

(pidgin:2985): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_get_name: assertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY
display)' failed
Pidgin 2.4.2

**(pidgin:2985): WARNING **: cannot open display: unset
[root@localhost ~]# kwrite
kwrite: cannot connect to X server

So now I wonder "tty2"?

"(pidgin:2985): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_get_name: assertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY
display)' failed
Pidgin 2.4.2

**(pidgin:2985): WARNING **: cannot open display: unset"?

"Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released"? I think I know that one, no baseurl, duh, it can't connect to the url to get the yum install list from

"kwrite: cannot connect to X server"? I guess X server is referring to the GUI of Fedora Core.... right?

I may make more EDIT updates later, depends on if anyone has made a reply or not, so keep an eye open on it incase of that, please.
Last edited by [.root/fail] on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

[.root/fail] wrote:
ubergeek42 wrote:It is possible that root logins are not allowed over ssh, so you might try logging in with your regular username in filezilla.
Root is the only login name >///<

you should never run as root.
once you get the files you need off that machine, wipe the hard drive and reinstall. correctly this time.

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

hotaru wrote:you should never run as root.
once you get the files you need off that machine, wipe the hard drive and reinstall. correctly this time.
[/not flaming, angry, or being offensive]I've not made it clear, but would like to make it clear now. My family is not good with computers and we ALWAYS GET COMPUTERS THAT SUCK AND NEVER GET THE INSTALLATION/BOOT DISK, no matter how many times I beg and plead, we always "have to save money", hell no, we'd have saved hundreds if we bought one good computer a long time ago and treated it right and made sure the people selling it to us were retards who wouldn't give us the proper disk and drivers.

Whoever had it before us only used root, I guess, because, there has never been anything to indicate a normal user account on the FC4 computer. I know what root is, I know what a superuser is, but, that's the only thing the computer had. Unless there is a command in prompt I can be given to show me a list of users on the computer (superuser, normal user, normal user two, etc.) I wouldn't know.

I didn't buy the computer, I didn't install the OS, I didn't have anything to do with how it was set up and used. My family got it from a thrift store for like... $20, when it was working, it was greatly worth it, it was a very cool computer and it worked great, the only problem with it was when it bitched about not having space on the harddrive, leading to this after deleting some files.

As you said, that is my plan, I'm trying to just get my freaking files off of it so I can completely wipe the thing clean and reinstall a OS so it isn't an equivalent to a paperweight.[/not flaming, angry, or being offensive]

EDIT1: [.[.root/fail]/Clerical_error]... I've tried connecting to it with Filezilla, I'll try also, the suggestion I overlooked, connecting with Putty then copying the files with Filezilla. -_-
EDIT2:I'm having the same issues with putty as I am with Filezilla

Also... appearently I have new mail... also, I guess I was wrong, I cannot ping the XP with FC4

You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@localhost ~]#telnet [IP ADDRESS]
trying [IP ADDRESS]....
telnet: connect to address [IP ADDRESS]: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
Although, not entirely sure what this would tell me... "this computer cannot connect at all to the internet", "this computer cannot telnet the XP computer because the XP computer has nothing up about telnet, start a server, somehow, you newb"
EDIT3:I'm thinking of hooking my mp3 player up as an external drive to put files onto.

I think I should have thought of this from the start.

BUT, I need to know the commands on how to access folders, view a list of files and folders and copy/cut files and paste them into the external drive. How to mount the drive if it doesn't do it automatically, etc.

2:45 am EDIT_update:Right, I'm learning commands for FC4 CLI. I'm wondering something.

[root@localhost ~]# cd ./Desktop/LOL's Documents
>_

When I type anything in the line that starts with > nothing happens, there are no messages, nothing, it just starts another line with the > at the front, not even the [root@localhost ~]#, just >.

kaitou

Postby kaitou » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

[.root/fail] wrote:2:45 am EDIT_update:Right, I'm learning commands for FC4 CLI. I'm wondering something.

>_

When I type anything in the line that starts with > nothing happens, there are no messages, nothing, it just starts another line with the > at the front, not even the [root@localhost ~]#, just >.

That's because the directory name you typed has a single quote, "'", in it. The ">" indicates that it's expecting a continuation of the command line. Hit ctrl-C to get out of it. To change to a directory that has spaces or special characters in it, you need to quote the string, in this case, using double quotes, '"'. Try:

cd "./Desktop/LOL's Documents"

The other option is to escape the special characters by preceding them with a backslash, "\", e.g.:

cd ./Desktop/LOL\'s\ Documents
(one\ for the ' and one for the space)

This is why I hate filenames with spaces in them....

[.root/fail]

Postby [.root/fail] » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:11 am UTC

cp: cannot stat '/root/Desktop/The Holders' : No such file or directory

Ok, i get that with many directories I type and in different ways...above is an example, not exact, I think.
I tried the things with quotations and the backslashes.

./Desktop/The Holders
.root/Desktop/The Holders
/root/Desktop/The Holders
/Desktop/The Holders

HELP!

Questions, comments?

kaitou

Postby kaitou » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

What exactly was the command you used? And what directory were you in at the time off issuing the command?

You might try running:
ls -l /root/Desktop
and seeing what type of file "The Holders" is or if it even exists. It may be that it has some other odd character in the name.

[.root/fail]

Re: Problem with Fedora Core 4 (now with FTP problems)

Postby [.root/fail] » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Update: I'm going insane. I got WinFtp Server Cororate Trial Version. Both computers can connect... but I'm getting annoying errors.

I'll show a "side-by-side" comparison of the events logged on both computers.

Fedora Core 4 connecting to the server:

[root@localhost ~]# ftp [XP IP]
Connected to [XP IP]
220 Welcome to WinFtp Server.
502 Command not implimented.
502 Command not implimented.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (192.168.0.101:root): user gsnroot
331 Password required for user gsnroot
Password **********
530 Not logged in.
Login failed.
ftp> user gsnroot
331 Password required for gsnroot
Password ***********
230 Logged on
ftp> put /root/donttouchme.odt
local: /root/donttouchme.odt remote: /root/donttouchme.odt
227 Entering Passive Mode ([XP IP],4,4)
550 Filename invalid
ftp>

Windows XP running the server:

2008-11-18  22:05:15 - User connected from [FC4 IP] 43603
2008-11-18  22:05:15 - (not logged in) ([FC4 IP]) > 220 Welcome to WinFtp Server.
2008-11-18  22:05:15 - (not logged in) ([FC4 IP]) > AUTH GSSAPI
2008-11-18  22:05:15 - (not logged in) ([FC4 IP]) > 502 Command not implemented.
2008-11-18  22:05:15 - (not logged in) ([FC4 IP]) > AUTH KERBEROS_V4
2008-11-18  22:05:15 - (not logged in) ([FC4 IP]) > 502 Command not implemented.
2008-11-18  22:05:30 - (not logged in) ([FC4 IP]) > USER user gsnroot
2008-11-18  22:05:30 - user gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > 331 Password required for user gsnroot
2008-11-18  22:05:33 - user gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > PASS ***********
2008-11-18  22:05:33 - user gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > 530 Not logged in.
2008-11-18  22:05:33 - user gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > SYST
2008-11-18  22:05:33 - user gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > 530 Please log in with USER and PASS first.
2008-11-18  22:05:49 - user gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > USER gsnroot
2008-11-18  22:05:49 - gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > 331 Password required for gsnroot
2008-11-18  22:05:51 - gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > PASS ************
2008-11-18  22:05:51 - gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > 230 Logged on
2008-11-18  22:06:26 - gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > PASV
2008-11-18  22:06:26 - gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > 227 Entering Passive Mode ([XP IP],4,4)
2008-11-18  22:06:26 - gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > STOR /root/donttouchme.odt
2008-11-18  22:06:26 - gsnroot ([FC4 IP]) > 550 Filename invalid.

tendays

Re: Problem with Fedora Core 4 (now with FTP problems)

Postby tendays » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

A few comments and reactions to things I saw in this thread:
[.root/fail] wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Are you sure the password field is broken? If you just click on it, type, and hit Enter does it work anyway?
"YES, I AM SURE THE F***** FIELD IS BROKEN!"
I'm not saying it's not broken, but, just in case, I believe the "standard greeter" has a password field that gives no feedback at all when you type stuff, but it still takes what you type into account, which is probably what Drop was referring to. But yeah, I trust you tried typing and okaying anyway and it isn't working.
I doubt it renders a non-interactive element instead of a password field ... Maybe it is waiting for the answer from a library or something, or crashes, or whatever, and because of that stops reacting to your input.

ubergeek42 wrote:I would guess that fedora comes with ssh, and it's likely setup
I haven't ever installed fedora, but I'd guess that either it isn't setup, or it's blocked by default. A brief search on the internet indicates the latter, that it's blocked with iptables.

You need to figure out the ip address of the fc4 box, to do this, type:
ifconfig in the terminal.(you may need to use sudo ifconfig or sudo /sbin/ifconfig, or just /sbin/ifconfig if you don't have sudo).
He's running as root anyway so this is moot, but I don't think fedora has a "normal user may sudo anything", à la ubuntu. And ifconfig doesn't need to be ran as root if you're just reading the status of the network. /sbin/ifconfig ran as whatever user you're connected as is enough.
root/fail: You didn't post the output of ifconfig. Also running netstat -rn may be interesting, since you seem to say you're "not fully connected".

So now on the windows box, get filezilla(or any other reasonable ftp program), and connect to that ip, on port 22, with the username/password that you usually use to login in fedora. Copy whatever files off the machine that you want.
You meant, any reasonable ssh program - Most ftp clients speak neither the ssh nor the sftp protocol... (Apparently filezilla knows about it though).

[.root/fail] wrote:the messages I'm getting so far are:

Error: Connection timed out
Status: Connection attempt failed with "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host".

I got on command prompt on XP, I pinged the address and it's there, it's connected to the net, it replies, it's real. I don't know why it cannot connect though.

telnet [IP ADDRESS]
Connecting To [IP ADDRESS]...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed
Yeah, telnet is not going to work (at least I hope fedora doesn't leave a live telnet running), you want to connect to the ssh port (22) with the ssh protocol. Telnet or ftp on the port 22 isn't going to work either.

below is port 22
[IP ADDRESS]
Run "iptables --list" without the quotes on your fedora box and see if the ssh port is open?
You can try connecting from the fedora box to itself with ssh, to check the ssh server works (just do a ssh localhost from the fedora command line)

[.root/fail] wrote:I don't know if there's a firewall running on FC4box, it's possible, I thought that linux always did. But from the command lines? It's been so long since I've used that computer I'm even more of a newb to it then when it was working.
Start with iptables --list to see if there's something you need to do there.

kaitou wrote:Otherwise, I'd suggest booting the FC4 install disk in rescue mode and fixing things from there, or, at least, doing a backup of your important files.
I don't have one of those disk and don't know where to get the stuff to make one.
Since you have a command line, booting on a cd probably wouldn't give you much more.

As said, it can't connect to the yum list, does anyone know how to fix the connection? maybe it's a problem with it going through a network it wasn't installed into, just plugged in... so I'll give it a try otherwise...
ifconfig and netstat output please. Also does "host http://www.google.com" without the quotes work? (give you google's ip address) does "ping http://www.google.com" work? does "telnet http://www.google.com 80" report a successful connection?

I think the problem is file based, I think the connection is fine.
ok then.

Fedora Core Release 4 (Stentz)
Kernel 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 on an i686

localhost login: root
password:
Last login: sun Nov 9 15:51:58 on tty2
[root@localhost ~]#yum list
Setting up repositories
K12ltsp                             100% |==========================|1.1 kB    00:00
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released[/quote]Messed up yum configuration? I never used yum, can't help.

[quote][root@localhost ~]# pidgin

(pidgin:2985): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_get_name: assertion 'GDK_IS_DISPLAY
display)' failed
Pidgin 2.4.2

**(pidgin:2985): WARNING **: cannot open display: unset
[root@localhost ~]# kwrite
kwrite: cannot connect to X server
DISPLAY and X server are more or less synonyms, they mean the graphical interface, which you don't have since you're connecting on the console (ctrl-alt-f1). "display: unset" means that the $DISPLAY environment variable is not set, and that's the variable that says where a program should open its windows. Again, you don't have a display, so you don't have a $DISPLAY either, so these programs can't open their windows, and therefore won't run. You could start a display and run these programs on it but I guess you don't need it since you just want to save some files, right?

So now I wonder "tty2"?
tty2 is what you see when you do ctrl-alt-f2. The message means that this is where the last root login took place.

[.root/fail] wrote:Unless there is a command in prompt I can be given to show me a list of users on the computer (superuser, normal user, normal user two, etc.) I wouldn't know.
cat /etc/passwd

[root@localhost ~]#telnet [IP ADDRESS]
trying [IP ADDRESS]....
telnet: connect to address [IP ADDRESS]: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
Although, not entirely sure what this would tell me... "this computer cannot connect at all to the internet", "this computer cannot telnet the XP computer because the XP computer has nothing up about telnet, start a server, somehow, you newb"
"Connection refused" usually means you got as far as the target computer (the xp box) but either it isn't running the service you requested or it has a firewall blocking connections on its port. If the fedora box had no connection to the internet you'd either get a timeout or a "no route to host" error.

I'm thinking of hooking my mp3 player up as an external drive to put files onto.

I think I should have thought of this from the start.
Agreed

BUT, I need to know the commands on how to access folders, view a list of files and folders and copy/cut files and paste them into the external drive. How to mount the drive if it doesn't do it automatically, etc.
It's extremely unlikely anything happens automatically. Especially since you aren't logged in gnome or kde.
1) Plug the drive.
2) "dmesg | tail" without quotes to see if that triggered some system message.
3) "mount /dev/XXX /mnt", replacing XXX by whatever you saw in those system messages

If this work, your external drive will be under "/mnt/", without the quotes. So you'd do things like "cp /root/Desktop/important-file /mnt/", still without those quotes.

>_

Like kaitou said, it was waiting for you to close that '. Instead of fighting with double quotes or backslashes you might want to try using tab completion - if you're using a decent shell it will put the backslashes whenever they're needed. E.g. Type "cd ./Desktop/LO", stop there, press the <tab> key, and it should fill in the rest for you, unless you have other files in there that start with LO. Putting a double quote will only work until you have things like backticks, backslashes, double-quotes, dollars, etc, in the filenames.

[.root/fail] wrote:cp: cannot stat '/root/Desktop/The Holders' : No such file or directory

Ok, i get that with many directories I type and in different ways...above is an example, not exact, I think.
I tried the things with quotations and the backslashes.
(Don't put both backslashes and quotes, that wouldn't work! :) )

./Desktop/The Holders
.root/Desktop/The Holders
/root/Desktop/The Holders
/Desktop/The Holders
Honest question: do you know the difference between ./something, .something and /something? The first means the file or directory "something" in the current directory, the second means the file ".something" in the current directory (equivalent to "./.something") and the last means the file "something" in the root directory (root in the sense at the root of the file hierarchy, not in the sense the directory named "root").
You should look for a tutorial on the net about basic file navigation commands, cd, ls, pwd, then cp, mv, etc. Anyway, the "ls" command tells you what's in the given directory, or in the current directory if you just type "ls" on its own). The "pwd" command will tell you what is the current directory. "cd .." moves one level up, "cd /" moves to the root of the hierarchy, etc.

[.root/fail] wrote:ftp> put /root/donttouchme.odt
local: /root/donttouchme.odt remote: /root/donttouchme.odt
227 Entering Passive Mode ([XP IP],4,4)
550 Filename invalid
ftp>
Maybe it wants an 8.3 filename...
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

[.root/fail]

Re: Problem with Fedora Core 4 (back from the dead: live-cd?)

Postby [.root/fail] » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Alright, I am back, nothing has gotten me anywhere, I'm wondering though. Would a Live-CD or Rescue disk help me? I'm such a linux newbie, I need something that will have a graphical user interface, and in that, I can see all my files on the computer, those on the desktop will show there, and those in the log files for pidgin will be there. The hard drive has NO extra space on it, I believe I explained before the problem with that, and why that lead to this newbie screwing something up and being unable to get in FC4 anymore.

Anyways, I downloaded a rescue disk for Fedora Core. I'm wonder if it'll work and if I need a special iso burner to burn it since it's linux, not windows, and I'm burning from a windows XP (the same computer I complained about in one of my other topics, not my fault though for it's stupidity).

Unparallelogram

Re: Problem with Fedora Core 4 (back from the dead: live-cd?)

Postby Unparallelogram » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Assuming you haven't done any disk encryption or anything, another Linux LiveCD of any distro should be able to read your disk directly, after which you could just move files off onto a flash drive or something. Just get any Linux LiveCD and burn the ISO to a regular CDR; it doesn't matter where you burn from. Most LiveCDs -- such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix -- would provide you with a full GUI and the ability to mount the hard disk in question.

[.root/fail]

[RESOLVED]Re: Problem with Fedora Core 4[/RESOLVED]

Postby [.root/fail] » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 am UTC

I DECLARE THIS TOPIC CLOSED! LIEK TEH POOLZ!

Thanks to Mewshi's help, I made a live-cd of Ubuntu and am currently copying my files to a USB drive!

THANKYOU SO MUCH MEWSHI!!!!! *hugs tight*

Return to “The Help Desk”