1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 am UTC

bothasar_t says he uses the truck for downloading seaish attachments. Some of them are molpies.

ETA:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Optional decree:
As we approach the anniversary of the OTC,
what are your fondest OTTerish memories from the past yip?

When I was still new here. I didn't understand almost anything here. I didn't know how anything works here. everything was a mystery. You were like some kind of mighty giants.
Also, biltzing. It's cool.

Mini important timeframe fragments:
Or something. I just woke up from coma.

Redundant
Spoiler:
sig3.PNG
sig3.PNG (2.01 KiB) Viewed 7907 times
Last edited by balthasar_s on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:17 am UTC

SBN wrote:
taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
newpixbot wrote:
Spoiler:

Cueball helpfully uses his one word of Beanish.

Optional decree:
As we approach the anniversary of the OTC,
what are your fondest OTTerish memories from the past yip?

How can you know that?? I still cannot see any of the Time After Time ONGs!

Can mscha.org be blocked by your computer or network?

My favorite thing is how we still have new OTTers revealing themselves. (And, all that other stuff.)

It seems to be fixed now!

Eternal Density wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Oh noooo

I have indulged...I am unclean. No more shall I decry my 2048 virginity.

The only way to fix this is to get an OTTified version. It must be done.

It will be called 1190.

Hmm, I want to do something clever with numbers but I also want to do something involving molpies and grapevines so... maybe I'll need two different virginsversions.

I would imagine it should merge 2s, 5s, 7s and 17s until you get 1190.
Last edited by taixzo on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

Sadface.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:19 am UTC

I love how 2048's javascript is written to work for any size of square grid.

Too bad its html and css isn't. Steambottle.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:34 am UTC

on the madnessthread Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Last year's RECKONING struck just as the thread was taking off, so basically the OTT is the child of the Madness.

Alternatively, OTTers are Children of Madness.

I came here long after the Madness. I'm more a child of what came after madness.
Maybe I'm a grandchild of Madness?
Last edited by balthasar_s on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay.
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy

Eternal Density

ED makes it snappy

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:35 am UTC

New OTTification!
titletext:
Spoiler:
dreamjob.png
Then I'd retire to a life of hotdog vending.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HES

Postby HES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:08 am UTC

Molpy NUMBERWANG!

I need to ketchup, but for now I'm dexOTTing for an outside interview.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 am UTC

ergman wrote:I don't understand what eternal density is doing

I also don't understand what eternal density is doing, but whatever it is, it got him to 3400 posts. Congrats, ED!

And congrats on 200, balthabothbikasar!

I had not heard of Numberwang before. Ah, brave new world, that has such things in it.

My favorite memory of the OTT? Those moments when I would read a post, or an exchange over several posts, and think, "Man, the people on this thread are so smart/funny/crazy/kind/awesomeful." There have been lots and lots of those moments.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

january1may

Re: Sadface.

Postby january1may » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:19 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I love how 2048's javascript is written to work for any size of square grid.

Well, there's always 2147483648 - a version on a 8x8 grid (and you can set a different smaller size).
If you want a pretty "wait for it" experience, set the auto mode "corner" and watch the numbers dance (manually push it down if it gets stuck - which it almost never does). You'd probably get your first 131072 within a nopix, and it only goes up from there... slowly.
Important note: it is really addictive. Seriously. Be warned. (I don't even know what to compare it with, especially in its category; by my experience, the only two things that are anywhere near as addictive are that site where you watch a bunch of polygons evolving to a picture, and that site with planets that orbit in correctly-proportioned periods and make ridiculously pleasant music - I wouldn't dare link to either).
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0764

Postby mscha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 am UTC

VETCHLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 am UTC

Squirpy!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby azule » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am UTC

« Frame 1A: NP1816:30 | » Frame 1C: NP1821:10

The Zanclean Zodiac

Lurkreplies, plus OTT-If after the break:

Laura's Les Mis -- just great! I only watched the movie just recently. You need a duet partner. *coughs* *sings*

EoM, the story's getting intriguing. I think I was sorta lost during the fourth one, then it continued and I was more lost, but now I'm picking up on it from 7 and 8. I haven't finished reading 8 yet, but keep it up!

mikrit, awesomeful USD (weepend edition)! So, you're saying that Megan gained even more knowledge (from books?) while Cue is falling behind intellectually? hehe.

patzer wrote:though I still update the wiki
For which we are very thankful. (p.s. glad you still like your hat I did for you.)

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:Is there a reason our resident foxmolpy isn't gracing us with his presence?

If I recall correctly, azule wanted to do something special for his 1000th post in the OTT. It's been over a mip since he left, and we're still [spoilering], though it seems that he will be delurking soon with the event of the StarryONGs!
Your memory (or searching skills) precedes you. :) Yeah, I know *embarrased* a mip.

addams wrote:When 'It' arrives, will you all disappear?
Great thought. "If he builds it we will come." But in this case, do we actually want It to come?

mrob27 wrote:imagebot showed us this image and I started to Image because the units don't agree with the stick figures. Maybe Megan and Cue are about 4 meters tall — but how could Cueball be two cueballs tall?!? So I lengthened the arrows, and added some molpies sneaking towards the picnic basket:

POWERS OF CUE
It's pretty 4 when you think about it,
if you don't know what the sea is doing.

I hope it's okay I re-did your otty @czule, I had to do it because I love Powers of Ten so much!
Randamnit!!

Hah, no, it's okay. I actually did notice that mustard, too. As well as a severe lack of molpies or other OTC element. Thanks for fixing it!! Plus, superb OTTification of the title text. Man, oh man, I must have had severe creative deficiencies that nip.

Eternal Density wrote:Anyhow, I have OTTified OtherComic 1337:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:An OtherComic OTTified before it even comes out! That's some truly excellent temporal shenanigans!
Agreement with comments. Also, good job.
Update after seeing new AuthorComic: Much better idea than the astro/90's movie mashup.

Whizbang wrote:Anyone else get a giddy feeling when someone quotes a post you made, like, half a yip ago? (On any discussion site, not just the OTT)
No, just here. :P Here, actually, sometimes I get embarrassed. The last one I remember being a typo I made. lol. Another one being my emotion at t** **d. One time my newpixbot story was quoted. That was positive.

mrob27 wrote:I'm glad ye all like me Replay Viewer. @AluisioASG kindly provided a datafile 'n code that gunna allow me to add me own treasure chest 'o all 3101 known hashes, 'n extra efficiently. Thanks! Image

azule wrote:Alright. Just to note, I think a cachin' system would reduce on-demand issues. ...

Yes, ye're right, 'n I don't remember now how I got ye idea (which was to spy wit' ye eye how much 'tis be happenin') mixed up wit' th' idea 'o settin' up an ЯOЯЯIM TTO... Arrr! Th' main challenge to me regardin' th' quotes, be how to figure out which message be bein' quoted in a given quote. Regular expressions be not quite up to th' task.

No offense, but please don't let the Madness be pirate this yip (last yip it was OldEnglish). I don't know what some of those words were. :( lol
I'm jealous of efficient code.
I feel a RegEx challenge has been instigated. I'll get back to you.

yappobiscuits wrote:azule - oh my... Image
I probably should be embarrassed. Actually, I probably should be acoma.
karhell wrote:Indeed, cap'n Yappo, indeed
Hmm, in a good way?

Dracomax wrote:hmm. another Lewis Carrol reference...

Quick, where's a cheshire redundakitty?
Would a shish kabob kitty count?

yappobiscuits wrote:
Post Mah Newpix
Fun. (I wonder what the original is like.)

ergman wrote:This place got very NSFW very fast. Not that I'm conplaining.. Image

thanks for the thanks: azule and Addams.
You're welcome, and you're welcome. ;) (I hope people did notice the NSFW warning...)

balthasar_s wrote:
azule wrote:Good points, except: the moadness. For blitzers or even us it would be a way to still get the info we need. When moadness is over, remove the redirect. Just a temporary measure, for your consideration.

I don't understand anymore. How would redirecting archived attachments to OTT attachments help?
Oh, sorry. Just thoughts. I thought you were saying the serving of attachments on your server was slower than from the OTT. And also that you would be missing some until your bot gets to them all. Just, thoughts. I'll go now.

Dracomax wrote:The Last Five Newpix:If I didn’t believe in you
I liked that. I mean, that was indeed awsomeful!

ucim wrote:
azule wrote:
The Trick Was Rubbing Two Sticks Together

Megan and Cueball have just finished attempting another sandcastle, in this new dirt. It fails. Megan is so very disappointed.
Oooh! Awesomeful!
azule wrote:With nothing else to go on but her words, Cueball swings his stick around his back until he is facing a frightened and dangerous leopard.
I didn't know they had iMacs back then! I also love the imagery of "painting the night with a trailing red line". And methinks... the shippers are going to love the motion of this ocean! 'tis truly a tale for BlitzGirl!
Well, thank you, Jose. I do hope people understand that this isn't just smut, but beautiful imagery and puns! ;)

Cloudy_the_Conqueror wrote:Hello there, OTTers! I have been following the OTT for a long time, and I'm an editor on the OTW as well.
Hello! Thank you for your wiki work.

Cloudy_the_Conqueror wrote:Later, I found an excellent guide to SB, which caused me to play it again, which then pulled me back into the OTT. I have been following you ever since.
I try to leave, but Time keeps pulling me back in!
Well, I haven't exactly tried to leave... :oops:

lmjb1964 wrote:And...AZULE! Shame on you! There are young people on this thread!! I don't know how young, but, young! (Although the last two lines are quite lovely.)
lmjb1964 wrote:And...AZULE! Shame on you! There are young people on this thread!! I don't know how young, but, young! (Although the last two lines are quite lovely.)
Hah, yes. All the lines were lovely, you meant, right? Unless, you meant it literally. Love, yes. Love sex raptorkitties and sandcastles. Note: double quoted because I know you meant to double shame me. *double-shamed*

BlitzGirl wrote:This latest tidbit seems to suggest that it was not the mods who Saved the OTT from full-on Madnessing, but GLR himself.
While I got my title from a mod, obviously, maybe it was actually because of the "Saving" action of GLR...on me? So, he knows me? I don't think I can handle that. mrob, how do you handle GLR knowing you? :mrgreen:
Also, **** ** again to all the mods saying "Randall is not reading this thread". Maybe we're insane but we're not wrong. *big grin*

BlitzGirl wrote:And my oh my, that was some hot Cuegan action right there! Image
Firestick is an, um. Interesting newword.
Haha. I hope every part of the story gets leaked through replies like this. Every part except the....nsfw parts. ;) Thanks. I also love how the most common response is "my oh my"....so I must have done this right. lol.

ggh wrote:azule - I don't know what to say without incriminating myself! Holy molpy!
Incriminating? Woo, I wish I knew what that meant. My mind thinks it does...but it's an idea similar to my story. That's what the comment was for, right, the story? I like the "holy molpy" phrase, btw.

Cloudy_the_Conqueror wrote:On the Madness thread, Vytron posted a link to TvTropes' self-demonstrating article on Sugar Bowl. Here's my attempt of ottifying it:
Awesomeful! We are a bit technologically advanced...unless you meant the OTC.

BlueCrab wrote:the Temporversary
Was that of your own design or did you get that from me?

Earthling on Mars wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Also, what in Randall's name is an "animal"?

Well, y'see, when I started writing the Dark Lord on NP640, the word "molpy" had been coined only 19 newpages earlier, only one (or two?) had been seen so far, and it wasn't yet clear what the molpy was. So I postulated that Molpies were a specific type of creature sent by the Dark Lord to follow Megball. So, 'molpy' has a specific meaning in the Dark Lord which is different than the specific meaning that later developed in the OTT. So, I was forced to use the word 'animal', a heretical word that was replaced by 'molpy' in the OTT, but unfortunately necessary in the Dark Lord.
Not unfortunate, but, cool. So much of the OTT is stamped with Time. No, we are not Timeless (or timeless) here, but instead full of Time (time). To understand something fully one must experience it in real Time or at least must blitz so as to experience it in "real" Time. I love thinking of the molpies again as so mysterious we didn't even know they were animals. Which, now, I'm not sure they are "animals" within your story. I'll have to rethink this stuff while reading your next chapter. ^_^

OTT: Now Version

What would it be like if the Now thread developed into the OTT, with a unique culture and vocabulary?
azule

The lack of personability and multitude of global divisions in Now would mean a very different outcome for a Now OTT than Time OTT.

One major distinction would be the OTTifyable characters. Instead of Megan and Cueball, we get The Levant and Most Australian Cities, or Levmac. Levmac shippers would take a more literal stance. Their desire would be to see The Levant ship more to MAC and vice versa, for trade or tourism.

A similarity would be the confusion about what world Now is taking place. So far the theory is that this is taking place on an Azimuthal Equidistant Earth. The Earth may even be flat, according to some, whom the detractors call Flatters. Yet others believe this is just a comic style world not based in reality. These represent an embarrassing minority.

To the adherents, also known as Novians, there would not exist the heresy that is Daylight Saving Time.

All time would be in 15 minute increments. Any posts outside of the 15th minute would be shunned. All OTTifications would occur within 8 hours (local time), with 10 hours (also local time) where they would be banned, each day.

Seeing information on a heretical Earth spreading throughout schools, Novians would petition for all textbooks to include only Now facts on the Earth.

Their long term plans would be to see the correct Earth terraformed (or more correctly, Noviforming) onto a nearby asteroid and to colonize it.

Spoiler:
Note: this is not based on the current thread, but only based on comic #1335.

wi1.png
Shipping ship shippers' relationships rely on ships.

wi2.png
Novians having a blast.
wi2.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 7798 times

Edit: self-censor so as not to be banned?

Edit: Added next and previous frame links.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 am UTC

january1may wrote:Well, there's always 2147483648 - a version on a 8x8 grid (and you can set a different smaller size).

Playing manually, I got up to 16384 before giving up as it was getting boring and taking so long. I was almost hoping for a "game over" but it just kept going :P
azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:azule - oh my... Image
I probably should be embarrassed. Actually, I probably should be acoma.
karhell wrote:Indeed, cap'n Yappo, indeed
Hmm, in a good way?

Well I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it just a teensy bit Image ...
Spoiler:
Or maybe a bit more than a teensy bit Image

azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Post Mah Newpix
Fun. (I wonder what the original is like.)

Just a little mentally scarring :P

azule wrote:I do hope people understand that this isn't just smut, but beautiful imagery and puns! ;)

Yes indeed, it was actually rather brilliant in that sense :D

azule wrote:OTT: Now Version

What would it be like if the Now thread developed into the OTT, with a unique culture and vocabulary?
azule

Haha, this is an interesting idea. You could try it with other othercomics too!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 am UTC

Steakish OTT-if4, azule!

Also, 2048 and its derivates are c**kish indeed. I managed to solve the tetris one, and I hope that cured me.

For decree:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
decree.png
decree.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 7760 times
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 am UTC

I haven't checked whether this has been covered in the Tread (cry me a sea), but I suspect it will appeal to many of us: a talking microwave timer
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eternal Density

148+149+149+149+148+149+149+149

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 am UTC

january1may wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I love how 2048's javascript is written to work for any size of square grid.

Well, there's always 2147483648 - a version on a 8x8 grid...
Actually I wrote that post after manually extending it out to 6x6. It wasn't too hard, just tedious. If I ever want to extend further I'd definitely use javascript-generated html and css! Anyhow I've been working on an epsilon new mechanic... unfortunately there's m*stard in the epsilon at the moment :( Once I've unm*starded it, I'll do some actual OTTifying of it, though I"m not yet certain which way(s) to take it yet. AluisioASG sent me a snapshot of FaceBugook discussion on the topic, which may me handy.

azule wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Anyhow, I have OTTified OtherComic 1337:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:An OtherComic OTTified before it even comes out! That's some truly excellent temporal shenanigans!
Agreement with comments. Also, good job.
Update after seeing new AuthorComic: Much better idea than the astro/90's movie mashup.
Wow! Thanks :D

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 am UTC

HES wrote:Molpy NUMBERWANG!

I need to ketchup, but for now I'm dexOTTing for an outside interview.

Hope it goes well. (or went well, if it is done.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
mikrit wrote: ...I wonder what's behind the door, surely a brief look can't hurt, let me just...

*Months pass*
Ch**p, did I sign that? Hi mikrit, welcome back! I guess we I had better fix that sign. A new sign, warning that there are tygers within? No, I'd open that door myself. Police tape? Disguise the door as a wall? Wait, to fix the sign I'd have to go back down into the basement, and I might get lost again...

It has been kind of you to keep the thread alive.
Isn't it wonderful that they have? I just got back yesterdip, myself.

I don't think I was consciously aware that the Temporversary was coming, I just really missed the OTTers. Anybody else? Are we homing OTTers?

The issue with a sign is that there is almost nothing you could put that would not encourage us to poke it.

"This will end the world" No it won't. and if it does, I'll do it again to see if that works every time.
"Opening this door will cause raptors to eviscerate you" I'll be back with my thwapstick, door.
"Opening this door will cause you to lose mips of time" Ooohhh time dilation!
"this door contains mustard"...might work, but then every so often there's an Otter that likes mustard... and people form Chicago.
lmjb1964 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:The Last Five Newpix:If I didn’t believe in you
Based on:If I Didn't Believe in You From the Last Five Years

Treeish! I've lost count, have you done the whole show by now? Liked the Lewis Carroll otty too.

Three more to go. Doing them in order. Lots of OTTer's block on altering them in such a way as to make sense and keep the meter close. It doesn't help that the musical is very personal, and without making it about the romance of two OTTers, there isn't a good direct correlation.
ucim wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Is highlighting people's names in blue a Thing now? Or just to simplify finding names?
It makes people's names easy to see, especially when you are referring to something they said or did, but either don't have anything to quote, or don't want to quote them (while redundancy is molpish, too much redundant redundancy can make it harder to follow a thread). Since red (and its RELATED flavors) are frowned upon by the mods, blue is the only clear choice left. Green also works, but doesn't show up as well. (At least not on my monitor). I was one of the early adopters of this; sometimes I also prefaced the name with @, but don't do that much any more. Also, welcome back!

BlueCrab wrote:It does make the names a lot more visible, I just keep wondering why they're linked and clicking on them :)
Uh oh, you may have just started something!

Welcome Cloudy_the_Conqueror! Great to see you here! And happy Timiversary!

edit: Neil_Boekend - many browsers allow you to control styles and colors, and you can probably set yours to disregard all colors and display everything in black. Check it out.

Jose

I always used blue because it is the same color as the default weblink. That way, I didn't think it would be more disrupting than placing a link. It certainly helps to set aside names when I don't feel justified in doing a full quote. That way, it's likely to catch the attention of the person I am replying to. I wonder if there is another color that would be closer to black, but still stand out enough for that. Let's see...is this better?

And in reference to the madness.... Once it starts, I may just make all of my posts in quote boxes. it's the only way to be sure. sure of what, I don't know, but I think the quote boxes are exempt from the exemption.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:is this better?

As far as using blue I actually think that colour is better. It metaphorically represents a link while still not giving me the urge to click it :)
However simply making the name bold is just as easy and removes the problems that people have with colours (Yellow is usually a bad choice in my opinion).
But I like the variety of posting styles,use whatever you want. I don't usually highlight usernames but if I wasn't naturally lazy by naturen I would creatively represent usernames by a series of abstract pictures every time I refer to them.

nnaturer
rRedundancy
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0765

Postby mscha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

FINONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:15 pm UTC

azule wrote:EoM, the story's getting intriguing. I think I was sorta lost during the fourth one, then it continued and I was more lost, but now I'm picking up on it from 7 and 8. I haven't finished reading 8 yet, but keep it up!

Thanks.

Say, did anyone else notice that BlitzGirl never responded to her own decree last NP?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:15 pm UTC

It's all related.
I read Azule's NSFWification.
And then in the past, BlitzGirl:
BlitzGirl, in the past wrote:[...] the hottest, steamiest erotica fanfic of Megan and Cueball is posted on the thread [...]
BFTF replay.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:19 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:
Dracomax wrote:is this better?

As far as using blue I actually think that colour is better. It metaphorically represents a link while still not giving me the urge to click it :)
However simply making the name bold is just as easy and removes the problems that people have with colours (Yellow is usually a bad choice in my opinion).
But I like the variety of posting styles,use whatever you want. I don't usually highlight usernames but if I wasn't naturally lazy by naturen I would creatively represent usernames by a series of abstract pictures every time I refer to them.

nnaturer
rRedundancy

Well, the alternative is actually making it a link, such as this: @adnapemit
Would that be better?

Also, is it odd that we are actually looking forward to the madness time?
“have i gone mad?

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Also, is it odd that we are actually looking forward to the madness time?

Well, IMHO, yes. Apparently the Madness is a little fun for the moderators. Looking forward to it to me is like being envious that someone else will have a new toy for about a week and that we can't share. Personally, I think that as long as someone else's fun is not more than a mild annoyance to others, I don't really care that they are having fun. Of course, if they have fun I can share and enjoy, so much the better. Rephrased: if I can share in the fun, so much the better. So, for example, if they would take the OTT-wiki and created filters based on it, causing ALL OF THE XKCD FORUMS to talk like 'we' do, I would be very much amused. If it would cause all of my posts to become incomprehensible (more than usual, that is), it would not be much fun for me. Most of my contributions are textbased, so any change to what I write has an immediate impact, especially when it comes to carefully crafted ottifications.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, is it odd that we are actually looking forward to the madness time?

Well, IMHO, yes. Apparently the Madness is a little fun for the moderators. Looking forward to it to me is like being envious that someone else will have a new toy for about a week and that we can't share. Personally, I think that as long as someone else's fun is not more than a mild annoyance to others, I don't really care that they are having fun. Of course, if they have fun I can share and enjoy, so much the better. Rephrased: if I can share in the fun, so much the better. So, for example, if they would take the OTT-wiki and created filters based on it, causing ALL OF THE XKCD FORUMS to talk like 'we' do, I would be very much amused. If it would cause all of my posts to become incomprehensible (more than usual, that is), it would not be much fun for me. Most of my contributions are textbased, so any change to what I write has an immediate impact, especially when it comes to carefully crafted ottifications.

Ronald

Honestly, it's more like seeing that someebody else wnet to the practical joke store, and being excited to see what they do with their new purchases.

it's a wierd kind of masochism made more so by the fact that we honestly out stranged them last year. to the point where I wouldn't so much say we are the children of the madness(for some reason, that always makes me think we are some kind of X-men team, probably because of the similarity to "children of the Atom") as we are the that which fights monsters by becoming more monstrous still. In that we fought back against the madness by becoming completely nuts. and never, ever stopping.
“have i gone mad?

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1777/1818. Skipped: 1400-1758.

Postby macraw83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

I'm finally done with my East-Coast (USA) road trip, and now have time to finish future-ketchupping and then properly kicking off my schizoblitz. Anyway, here's a few quick PastPost responses:

BlitzGirl wrote:Huh, I didn't realize I was the first to string "chirping" and "mustard" together. It wasn't actually used as a curse in that instance, but describing mustard affiliated with the chirps in the night sky.
Spoiler:

To be fair, you've accidentally been first to do a lot of things on the OTT.
BlitzGirl wrote:
adnapemit wrote:ETA I wonder how many post in this thread are just people trying to put "Time" in different sentences.

I don't know, backwards Time panda.

:o I had a mild curiosity as to the meaning of your username (like most of them), and had no idea it was hidden that obviously. Baobobically steakish!

ETA: THE MADNESS HAS BEGUN!!! (Testing: USA, United States, Germany, Brazil, Russia, Spain)
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 pm UTC

Because apparently not even quotes work for The Mustarding here.
“have i gone mad?

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

Hmm... apparently it only changes in the Preview window? What about quotes?

USA, United States, Germany, Brazil, Russia, Spain

ETA: nope.
ETA2: OHHHHH, so when you click the "quote" button, it loads the filtered version. Gotcha.

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:18 pm UTC

USA, United States, Germany, Brazil, Russia, Spain

So it works if you hit preview, but when you hit submit, the filters hit.
However, if you copy the stuff that changed in the preview/quote box, that seems to work...
EEUU, Estados Unidos, Germany, Brazil, Россия, Spain

And, for the sake of completeness, heres the Animaniacs nations of the world song, wherein we can see what all got changed:
Spoiler:
Estados Unidos, Canada, Mexico, Panama
Haiti, Jamaica, Peru,
Republic Dominican, Cuba, Carribean
Greenland, El Salvador too.
Puerto Rico, Columbia, Venezuela
Honduras, Guyana, and still,
Guatemala, Bolivia, then Argentina
And Ecuador, Chile, Brazil.
Costa Rica, Belize, Nicaragua, Bermuda
Bahamas, Tobago, San Juan,
Paraguay, Uruguay, Surinam
And French Guiana, Barbados, and Guam.

Norway, and Sweden, and Iceland, and Finland
And Germany now one piece,
Switzerland, Austria, Czechoslovakia
Italy, Turkey, and Greece.
Poland, Romania, Scotland, Albania
Ireland, Россия, Oman,
Bulgaria, Saudi Arabia
Hungary, Cyprus, Iraq, and ایران.
There's Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan
Both Yemens, Kuwait, and Bahrain,
The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, and Portugal
France, England, Denmark, and Spain.

India, Pakistan, Burma, Afghanistan
Thailand, Nepal, and Bhutan,
Kampuchea, Malaysia, then Bangladesh (Asia)
And China, Korea, Japan.
Mongolia, Laos, and Tibet, Indonesia
The Philippine Islands, Taiwan,
Sri Lanka, New Guinea, Sumatra, New Zealand
Then Borneo, and Vietnam.
Tunisia, Morocco, Uganda, Angola
Zimbabwe, Djibouti, Botswana,
Mozambique, Zambia, Swaziland, Gambia
Guinea, Algeria, Ghana.

Burundi, Lesotho, and Malawi, Togo
The Spanish Sahara is gone,
Niger, Nigeria, Chad, and Liberia
Egypt, Benin, and Gabon.
Tanzania, Somalia, Kenya, and Mali
Sierra Leone, and Algiers,
Dahomey, Namibia, Senegal, Libya
Cameroon, Congo, Zaire.
Ethiopia, Guinea-Bissau, Madagascar
Rwanda, Mahore, and Cayman,
Hong Kong, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Yugoslavia...
Crete, Mauritania
Then Transylviania,
Monaco, Liechtenstein
Malta, and Palestine,
Fiji, Australia, Sudan.
“have i gone mad?

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1782/1818. Skipped: 1400-1758.

Postby macraw83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:04 pm UTC

First off, can someone point me to a list of mips and xips of the wip, like Randix? I feel like this is importantish.

Next, a somewhat seaish amount of PastPost responses:

january1may wrote:Um... where I am? Is it... a basement?
Wait, do blitzers get basemented, or do they end up somewhere else? I suppose one should ask macraw83hexa - xe just recently returned from a major blitzing break (or so I've heard anyway).
I suppose I did spend time in the basement, somehow without realizing it. I somewhat remember molpying up and then coming to learn of the basement later, but how does that even work?
january1may wrote:[snip]

hexa as in ma-cra-w-eigh-ty-three
Close. Very close. Or at least close to how I internally pronounce it, but feel free to read it how you will (it is purely text-based, after all).

Eternal Density wrote:Hi! The weepend is over and I've ketchupped Lots of steakish stuff, everyotter!!

Thanks HES for the Hotdog update. Too bad you couldn't actually update the hotdog though :(

@macraw83 I'd almost forgotten about Firefly Online and the username I reserved, but I did briefly think of it the other wip, so it's funny to see it brought up again.

@azule as mentioned elsewhere, my 300th post thing had nothing to do with my sig (which included the dogecoin thing long before that milestone).
I do want people's money but not until I actually have something for them to buy...

I'm glad to have brightened your xip, even if only for a few millinewpix.

HES wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Oh my Randall it seems like everything is happening so quickly in the OTC (but very slowly in the OTT because everybody started posting)

Curious, in real-time it was fast in the OTC and really fast in the OTT.

Well... I suppose that back then y'all were likely measuring progress in terms of newpix, which I guess makes sense when experiencing it live, since they were tied to Outsider-time. And tangentially from that, I would expect that OTT speed was a measure of posts per newpix, or essentially a measure of difficulty of ketchupping and/or staying in the Present.

But Blitzers like me measure progress in terms of NewPages, and OTC speed in newpix per NewPage. My point there was that the OTC content-per-newpix rate was suddenly orders of magnitude higher than it had been, but also that I was getting fewer newpix per NewPage (at times less than one on average). I guess what I was speaking to was the Time dilation of the OTT during that period, or something.

yappobiscuits wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
42 guests wrote:So I made an attempt at a miniature salt castle...
Spoiler:
First I needed some salt:

As if the castle-building wasn't RELATED enough, the salt semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice is called "Molpon"! :mrgreen:

I think that "Molpon" is intended to be a parody of "Morton", pretty much the primary brand of salt semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice found in the supermarkets I frequent.

AluisioASG wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Au revoir and best of luck to Aluisio, who hopefully will lurk in here occasionally.

:shock: I'm not sure I want to remember the context of this.

IIRC, I believe it was from when you were having post-editing issues (possibly among other things) and had said "goodbye" in what you said might be your last post.

Anywho, done with my mornip ketchupblitz for now. I'll have to get an afternip one going before too long. Got a few Outside things to take care of first, though.

ETA: saw Dracomax's post before mine, and I figure I could put something together to show what filters are active so far. I'll put that out shortly.

Soup

Re: Blitz Progress: 1782/1818. Skipped: 1400-1758.

Postby Soup » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:16 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:First off, can someone point me to a list of mips and xips of the wip, like Randix? I feel like this is importantish.

I think you're looking for this.

ETA: As I read that calendar, I think tomorrow is 1, Innocence, yip 1 A.T.
Last edited by Soup on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:ETA: saw Dracomax's post before mine, and I figure I could put something together to show what filters are active so far. I'll put that out shortly.

The OTW has gotten a filter list started in anticipation of the Madness.

Earthling on Mars wrote:Say, did anyone else notice that BlitzGirl never responded to her own decree last NP?

I didn't? Oops. Hmm... fondest memories include all the interactions from the future I got when I was blitzing, I thought those were pretty cool! Also, I like remembering how the OTT banded together after T** **d to keep the community alive. Image Y'all are awesomeful. Other fond memories include the OTC events that had everymolp posting like crazy, such as the raptorcat attack and LaPetite's return.

balthasar_s wrote:It's all related.
I read Azule's NSFWification.
And then in the past, BlitzGirl:
BlitzGirl, in the past wrote:[...] the hottest, steamiest erotica fanfic of Megan and Cueball is posted on the thread [...]

I'm so happy I finally got that fanfic. :mrgreen:

Not really, because the Madness is linked inextricably to the OTT's heritage. That oddity is responsible for much of our OTTidy.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

The only countries from that list that are filtered so far are the following:

Redundaspoiler:
Spoiler:
Madness Lang 1.PNG
Madness Lang 1.PNG (1.8 KiB) Viewed 7449 times

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0766

Postby mscha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

FARTHONGSWORTHS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1782/1818. Skipped: 1400-1758.

Postby macraw83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

NP1782 is one of my favorites so far. Thank you all for the ice cream, it looks tasty :)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

Mustard!
http://178.79.159.24/Time/ottification/1035/
When adding to the database I typed 1169 instead of 1069.
BFTF replay.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I'm finally done with my East-Coast (EEUU) road trip

I'm finally done with my East-Coast (UK) train trip. (EDIT: I take it US :arrow: EEUU is RECKONING RELATED.)

SBN wrote:
HES wrote:I need to ketchup, but for now I'm dexOTTing for an outside interview.

Hope it goes well. (or went well, if it is done.)

Thanks, it was much better than the last. I tripped on the standard "why do you want to work for us" question, but then managed to keep them talking for twice the allotted time, which I'm taking as a good sign. Quietly optimistic on this one.

macraw83 wrote:
HES wrote:Curious, in real-time it was fast in the OTC and really fast in the OTT.
[...] I guess what I was speaking to was the Time dilation of the OTT during that period, or something.

I realised what you meant, I was just making a comparison.

Earthling on Mars wrote:Say, did anyone else notice that BlitzGirl never responded to her own decree last NP?

To be fair, I pretty much covered it all.

Randamnit, I ketcupped on my mobile and now can't remember what I wanted to reply to with a proper TimeAccessor.
Last edited by HES on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

Well, they mustarded up the D-ominican R-epublic. In Spanish, it's "República Dominicana".

macraw83 wrote:First off, can someone point me to a list of mips and xips of the wip, like Randix? I feel like this is importantish.
It comes from the the Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradication.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

baby waterottermolpies (Neighbors of BG and CD.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Next: Raptors and Giant Spinny Thwappsticks

Postby HES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

D'aww! I forgot how foul kids' language was though.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”