1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

waveney

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby waveney » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 am UTC

@ED - Request an option to turn off the "In My Pants" addition to all messages in castle builder - It makes the program NSFW (at least here in England). Note to those from elsewhere pants here refer to underwear.
Last edited by waveney on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 am UTC

I think that we've really carried the "in my pants" jokes far enough.
No more! We are so much better than this!

Maybe we can have some intelligent discussions about math or science...
you know, there are lots of other things we can talk about.

People will really start to make fun of us if this keeps up. I mean,
as you know, people on other threads already say nasty things about us.
Now with all of these immature jokes, anyone visiting the OTT will
totally think we're ridiculous. Is this the kind of image we want to have?
Stop it, already!

Edited because maybe too subtle?
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:07 am UTC

Code: Select all

define pantsing (phrase):
{
    return phrase + " in my pants";
}

The OTTification solution
to the unpantsed problem

Spoiler:
I was gonna do a PNG of 1266, but it was giving me issues, and, well, this is code, so no problem.

Edit: What's this about no pants? :( *sad face* I wasn't able to be here for the duration...and I have so much to give in my pants. :(

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 am UTC

azule wrote:

define pantsing (phrase):
{
    return phrase + " in my pants";
}

The OTTification solution
to the unpantsed problem

Edit: What's this about no pants? :( *sad face* I wasn't able to be here for the duration...and I have so much to give in my pants. :(

Hm, too subtle? :twisted:

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mrob27

Important Notice from the Campaign for Real Time

Postby mrob27 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 am UTC

The Campaign for Real Time
804 Htom Crescent
Great Buttermolpy Island 3WV 72K

newpix 4371.95

This Notice is Important. Please Have It Translated.
ᖗᓄᒼᖚ ᕋᖊᖗᒼᘡᘖ ᒼᖚ ᒼᖸᔅᖊᓭᖗᙉᕋᖗᐧ ᔅᘈᘖᙉᖚᘖ ᓄᙉᑦᘖ ᒼᖗ ᖗᓭᙉᕋᖚᘈᙉᖗᘖᘝᐧ

To (Recipients): the OTTers of the Present-Time (circa Newpage 1481)

Claimants: @Mrob27, @Timborme and others journeying the thread of Time, circa newpix 660-850 (Newpage 340-400)

Nature of Complaint:

This message is to inform you of a preliminary investigation being performed by the Campaign For Real Time on behalf of the Claimant(s) cited above. This is not a chrono-subpoena.

We were recently shown evidence of significant disruptions in the temporal continuity of the One True Thread. Specifically, in several of the Newpages cited below (EXHIBITS A and B), it is clear that the Mome/Pope of each Newpage has been displaced as many as 7 posts (0.175 Newpages) into the Past relative to his/her original place in Time. After preliminary investigation we suspect one or more of the regulations governing the preservation of Real Time may have been violated.

- - - D E P O S I T I O N - - -

Exhibit A: Page-Popes (and Momes)

This Temporal Anomaly, apparently OTTer-made, continues for quite some time. Here are several posts demonstrating that the Anomaly was still present in Newpage 375:

• Newpage 374, post 35 : "Re: 1190: 'Time' by ChronosDragon" (this post appears 5 posts from the end of Newpage 374)
  • Newpage 374, post 36 : "Re: 1190: 'Time' by HAL9000" (appears 4 posts from the end of Newpage 374)
  • Newpage 374, post 37 : "Hail Pope (Mome)¯ HAL! ..We are still doing that, right?"
  • Newpage 375, post 7 : "What happened was that a PFAN disbanded the Papacy, but then somebody created a new church where the PFAN is the last poster of the page but for that page. Everything they said would be retroactively applied. / And that means you were pope last page ChronosDragon. your Naming decree will be upheld for that page."

From these posts it is plain that @HAL9000 was considered to be at the top of Newpage 375 (thus, the Pope of that page under the Present rules), but the post appears on Newpage 374 and has 4 posts after it.

Exhibit B: Testimony from the Recent Past

Valarya wrote:(Newpage 1478, post 4)
Re: Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 358 by Valarya, newpix 4356.73 (Newpage 1478)
"In regards to Pope-posts not being at the top of your current Newpages:
a. This needle-pulled thing was much more active in the before-time. New posters were being approved in the Past long after the OTT had moved on due to the admins being unable to keep up (not to be confused with a form of ketchup). ...

This statement by @Valarya supports the theory that if a Pope/Mome gets shifted, they are likely to be shifted to a later spot on the page. An example of this is the famous Pope of 1000 containing @BlitzGirl's "Present Present", an OTTification of xkcd #1000. It presently appears in the second spot of page 1000, due to this firstpost by @just_some_guy at the end of page 999.

However, the evidence in Exhibit A shows that for the Time Period in question, Popes/Momes have been shifted back about 6 or 7 spots.

SBN wrote:(Newpage 1478, post 7)
Re: Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 358 by SBN, newpix 4357.18 (Newpage 1478)
"Also, mrob27, usually the pope-posts are pushed down the page by first-posts, not goated by deletions. (You may not have encountered goating yet, just wait for it.)"

This statement by @SBN also indicates that Popes are likely to get shifted to a "later" spot, not to an "earlier" spot. Again, Exhibit A contradicts this.

- - - S U M M A R Y - - -

After being presented with the above evidence, the Campaign For Real Time, at the office lised above operating under the authority of Minister Slartibartfast, has undertaken a preliminary investigation to uncover any possible Violations of the Real Time Preservation Statutes, or other Unnatural Chirping Mustardifications of the Timestream, that may have had being taken place, and identify the Molpiest course of action.

As citizens of the Continuum of Time, and admirers of the Timeless Dominion of the One True Author, we all benefit from a Past, Present and Future that are continually consistent.

Sincerely,

- - - The Campaign For Real Time, OTTer Office, Great Buttermolpy Island

yet . . . but retroactively in the afterwhen, maybe.

Residents of other Times may be subject to different laws than those of the Claimants and/or Recipients listed above. Depending on your era you may or may not need to consult with the Ministry of Temporal Continuity, the Chronometric Defense League (Knights Temporal), the Bureau Tempus Invectus of Newpixia, or other related ministries and agencies. It is important that you know your rights and responsibilites as a Citizen of Time. The Campaign For Real Time, its oTTifers, employMolpies, Beanies and Assigns will not be liable for any damage or injury, either to this Timeline or to any other, arising out of this notice or the related investigation. Tempus Sacrum Est! Havete Randall, Creator Tempore!

Edits: To remove more ch*rping typos and RHTF mustard, sorry :? guess I need a molpydown
Last edited by mrob27 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:23 am UTC

azule wrote:Edit: What's this about no pants? :( *sad face* I wasn't able to be here for the duration...and I have so much to give in my pants. :(

It is apparently no-pants Time.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 am UTC

Looks like mrob has uncovered a disturbing temporal anomaly. Maybe people are going back and deleting posts. This must not be allowed to continue!

And azule was apparently disappointed by someone'sIn post. Things are not always what they seem, ya know. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go do battle with the evil 6-legged creatures that have invaded my house.P

Inmy
PAnts

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:45 am UTC

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:VITSSÅGEN IN MY PANTS, JA!
Quick, someone Swedify this!

VITSSÅGEN I MINA BYXOR, JA!

But if it were my pants, I think the final word ought to be NEJ! then. *shudder*

Or maybe it is VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR, JA! (That must be a sentence no Swede has ever written before.)

Tsk, tsk. You know, that's not a responsible way to carry around a roaring chainsaw, Blixtflickan.

(VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR is quite a tongue twister in my pants.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:51 am UTC

Blindposted from NP1476:

yappobiscuits wrote:YAY, thanks svenman! It's awesomeful to have someone who knows more what they're talking about have a look at it ;)

Only thing I'd change now is the chorus. I added the "ja"s so that it'd fit the rhythm, but since you've added the extra syllable with "Vitssågen", the "ja"s are no longer necessary. Makes it truer to the "Trollhammaren!" original too! (Even though that is four syllables, it's done over three like "Trollham'ren!"). Also removed "klinga" for the same reason.

Yes, I'd already figured you put in the "ja" to prop up the syllable count. However, listening to the Finntroll youtube video I'm under the impression that I'm hearing "trollhammaren" with four distinct syllables (a particularly clear instance is at 3:10). But even the fact that we are in disagreement shows that the audible difference is very small anyway, and the version without the "ja" certainly is closer to the syntactical structure of the original song.

Also, I've already had a hunch that the Swedish is a bit dodgy even in the original song, which mikrit pretty much confirmed. However, I'd left the parts of the lyrics alone that were identical to the original song, and we don't need to remove too much grammatical mustard if we want to stay true to the original. :)

yappobiscuits wrote:Funny thing. I kinda figured that "I den enda sanna tråd" was wrong and it should've been "tråden", but the original lyric is "Som en svarta träd", or "like a black tree". So it was kind of a hidden pun, tråd/träd :P

The difference is because "en svarta träd" (a black tree) is indefinite, while the One True Thread is very definite indeed and therefore the Swedish translation gets the definite suffix: "den enda sanna tråden" - the definite article "den" only needs to be added in front too because of the presence of "enda" and "sanna".

Looking forward to seeing mikrit's input!
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:08 am UTC

Pretty quiet at this time of the nip. Just me, karhell and yappo. (And 28 guests.) Not even any bots, or MobTeeseBoose. Probably means it's time for me to coma.

ETA MobTeeseBoose, you just had to prove me wrong, didn't you?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:31 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
azule wrote:Edit: What's this about no pants? :( *sad face* I wasn't able to be here for the duration...and I have so much to give in my pants. :(

So we should end all our sentences with "without pants"?
170: Megan: Wanna swim without pants?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Scrumptious Donuts

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:42 am UTC

### 0.978
- Added a way for touchscreen-leopard users to type stuff in (or rather, just handled the events for the existing already existing method :P)
- Added a boost to avert Judgement Dip
- Scrumptious Donuts

I forgot to add it to the changelog, but the former 25% chance of pantsmode is now 0. But there is a way to get pants mode via your leopard.

This will be the last update for a few dips because I'll be interstate at a work conference Thursday and Friday. I'd better go home to pack now. Oh and I'm late for dinner again.

Good luck finding all the new boosts I've added todip and yesterdip!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:47 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
taixzo wrote:

So we should end all our sentences with "without pants"?

859: Megan: Do you think there are other rivers without pants?

1005: Cueball: We haven"t walked very far without pants.

1096: Megan: Oh. The river is even bigger than it looked without pants.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am UTC

mikrit wrote:(VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR is quite a tongue twister in my pants.)
I would like a VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR tongue twister in my pants.

P.S. lmjb's sarcastic post was pleasingly received in my pants.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 am UTC

@ChronosDragon: Treeish Molpy Down image!
@intheshax: That OTTer-puzzle photo is awesomeful! Sorry about your lost ketchup.
@lmjb1964: I bet you think you're so clever without pants. :wink:

@mrob27: The disappearance of posts, shifting back the pagepopes is not an unknown phenomenon - I noticed it back when I was doing my blitz about five mips ago. Users can't delete their own posts, so it's apparently the doing of the mods. It probably happened more frequently when the OTT was riverish (and more mod-managed). I don't think popes have been shifted back to goat for at least a few hundred newpages now. Anyway, I don't remember if I commented during my actual blitz (if I did I can't find it) but I did note it later, and how the offset between the popes and the newpages bothered me:
BlitzGirl, Newpage 762 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Gah! I just looked back on a whim, and my Newpage of the Beast post got pushed BACK one and is now at the bottom of 665 :(
A previous post somewhere in the thread must've been deleted for some reason...

Yeah, one of the things that threw me off while blitzing was seeing PFANP posts at the bottom of the previous page, two or three posts back from where they originally were. Hmm, I think that's why I'm not a huge fan of Newpage-Titles, I remember how annoying that was as a reading experience. If I ever top a newpage again I will be an extremely mopey mome.

Edit: Oh, found an in-blitz remark I made, Newpage 384:
BlitzGirl wrote: The thread of Time has become vaguely confusing as well - since I could not be named Mome/Pope/Mope/Meme (lost in the past as I am), the thread-dwellers of the past have apparently elected to attempt a Pope-by-Page system, where having the first post of a newpage makes one Pope. Oddly, these posts for me appear a couple of positions behind where they should be - indicating a deletion of pastposts. Alas! How many posts have we now lost to Time?

azule wrote:
mikrit wrote:(VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR is quite a tongue twister in my pants.)

I would like a VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR tongue twister in my pants.

Me too! :D VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR, JA!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:26 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:For ggh:
Spoiler:

Yay! cheers!

k.bookbinder... you took that photo, yes?

waveney wrote:@ED - Request an option to turn off the "In My Pants" addition to all messages in castle builder - It makes the program NSFW (at least here in England). Note to those from elsewhere pants here refer to underwear.

Sounds like with your boss you should prolly keep [boost] Huge Buckets scrolled out of view as well.

Laura Mae - you had me too! Even with your less-subtlizing, I didn't notice until you made another post in my pants.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 am UTC

I noticed, but only because I'm used to seeing dirty words there without pants. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 am UTC

The Assumption/
Spoiler:
Spoiler
Song

There was an old Beanie
Who lived near a rock
He sat in the meadow
Just shaking his
Spoiler:

Prickl'ymolp
That hung with a stick
They jumped in the air
Exposing their
Spoiler:
weight for it

Mustard and pixels
Just then ten times four
Tribesmen and -women
Came with Bunny the
Spoiler:

Lucky so pleasing
She hid in the grass
She waited for Megan
To fall on her
Spoiler:

Backpack with white flags
She should have ducked
Her skin it was redd'ning
It's now time to
Spoiler:
run

Steambottle for water
T'was hard not to spit
Cueball bent over
He's burying
Spoiler:

Flagpoles and big posts
The flags they do slit
Cueball eats 'til happy
He's rubbing the
Spoiler:

Wowtree with writing
The wood he then knocks
Megan looked on astonished
By the size of his
Spoiler:

Head on his shoulders
He learned Beanish for bunt
Cake made by Rosetta was eaten
But pie was her
Spoiler:

Specialty/Secret
The dungeon had some nice spits
When it got wild
She'd show us her
Spoiler:
the end

Globes and maps and graphs
Explaining real quick
How there was no hope
Now suck on this
Spoiler:

Molpberry sucker
And drink of this Scotch
This song's almost over
Like a kick to the
Spoiler:

Bucket that's floating
All by itself
If you think this is dirty
You can go chirp yourself!
Spoiler:
...in my pants!

OdeTiTy of Arrogant Worms - The Assumption Song.

Eternal Density

Ch*rp

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:46 am UTC

Drat, I still can't get the leopard badge on my phone. I'll have to make another way, akin to how pants mode works.

ETA :
What's this about lmjb1964? I had been planning to post a funny pantsified boost unlock message I saw while testing but I noticed her post telling us off for that sort of thing so I didn't post it. Did I miss something?

ETA: 1885th post!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Neil_Boekend

Re: Ch*rp

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Drat, I still can't get the leopard badge on my phone. I'll have to make another way, akin to how pants mode works.

How do you keep it running on your phone? My phone pauses the javascript when the screen turns off.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 am UTC

Bravo, azule! Image

My favorite bit:
azule wrote:Megan looked on astonished
By the size of his
Spoiler:
Head on his shoulders
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Drat, I still can't get the leopard badge on my phone. I'll have to make another way, akin to how pants mode works.

How do you keep it running on your phone? My phone pauses the javascript when the screen turns off.

I have a more awesomeful phone.

ETA *goes back to reread lmjb1964's post again*
Oh. I see. Well.
Badge Earned: Enough for chess in my pants
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Aww, so I misbought with an Galaxy S4 Active in my pants. Chirp.

edit to correct pantslesnes.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:59 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Aww, so I misbought with an Galaxy S4 Active. Chirp.

LOL I'm still on the S3. Maybe it's because I'm using Opera?

Yay I got Seaish Sands.

In my pants.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Aww, so I misbought with an Galaxy S4 Active. Chirp.

LOL I'm still on the S3. Maybe it's because I'm using Opera?

Yay I got Seaish Sands.

In my pants.

As soon as I am back home with wifi I will have (an) Opera in my pants. (hmm. Better not. How will I fit the kettledrums in there? What if something got caught between the drums and the mallet? I better just install it on my phone)

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Important Notice from the Campaign for Real Time

Postby SBN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
The Campaign for Real Time
804 Htom Crescent
Great Buttermolpy Island 3WV 72K

newpix 4371.95

<snip>
After being presented with the above evidence, the Campaign For Real Time, at the office lised above operating under the authority of Minister Slartibartfast, has undertaken a preliminary investigation to uncover any possible Violations of the Real Time Preservation Statutes, or other Unnatural Chirping Mustardifications of the Timestream, that may have had being taken place, and identify the Molpiest course of action.

Sciscitor has a text file of the OTT on his site, maybe he can scrape a new copy and do a compare?
Not sure who else might have saved things that could be useful.
Maybe we could look at post counts, and postiversaries, and see who has celebrated a number they now haven't reached?
I tried to see if the mods had combined double posts, but didn't have much luck with that.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

I just watched Adam Hills' show "The Last Leg", screening here in the antipodes about 2 weeks after it was shown in the UK. They had a segment in which Brian May -- from the rock group Queen -- was at a protest meeting where he presented a recording protesting a proposed badger cull ... and as the music proceeded I realised it was ....

Drum roll ....

Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!

(Well, actually it was a version of MrWeebls Badger song ... only rather mustardy, IMHO).

I have to say that -- for many reasons -- yappobiscuit's version is considerably more steakish and, indeed, wingish.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Almost have the blast furnace!

he/him/his

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Quick blindpost to wish Yappo happy 1080p!
:roll:
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

How the chirp do you use your leopard in the Castle Builder game? I've pressed every key on my leopard, tried quite a few key combinations, and I get nothin' in my pants.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:How the chirp do you use your leopard in the Castle Builder game? I've pressed every key on my leopard, tried quite a few key combinations, and I get nothin' in my pants.

Is it "F" and then "5" ? (I'm guessing, based on what I remember from previous posts, I'm currently a non-Castler, so if you follow my advice and it messes you up, don't blame me.) But I will refund what you paid for the advice.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Whizbang wrote:How the chirp do you use your leopard in the Castle Builder game? I've pressed every key on my leopard, tried quite a few key combinations, and I get nothin' in my pants.

Is it "F" and then "5" ? (I'm guessing, based on what I remember from previous posts, I'm currently a non-Castler, so if you follow my advice and it messes you up, don't blame me.) But I will refund what you paid for the advice.

F+5 does nothing (that I can tell)
F5 refreshes the page
CTRL+F5 refreshes the page
ALT+F5 does nothing (that I can tell)

I've done this for both IE8 and Chrome (minus F+5 in Chrome).

waveney

Postby waveney » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
SBN wrote:

F5 refreshes the page

1) Your cursor needs to be over the beach
2) Press 'f'
3) Press '5'

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
SBN wrote:

F5 refreshes the page

I've applied a full refund to your account.

Some Ways to Time

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:
SBN wrote:

F5 refreshes the page

1) Your cursor needs to be over the beach
2) Press 'f'
3) Press '5'

That's a no-go in IE8. I'll try it out on Chrome when I get home. Unless somehow my cursor is in the wrong place. I have hovered over various places in the picture, but I assume anywhere over the picture should be sufficient.

SBN wrote:I've applied a full refund to your account.

Thank you. I gave you positive feedback on your vendor profile.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Oh, I was reading Yappo's collection of pants while was on the tram and I almost laughed out loud. (Then I continued reading as I crossed the street and almost walked into a biker. This thread is dangerous.)
ggh wrote:Laura Mae - you had me too! Even with your less-subtlizing, I didn't notice until you made another post in my pants.

What? What? I know she is not usually so serious, and I don't understand why she mentions subtility, but...

*Turns on brain*

Oh. I see. Well done.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

yappobiscuits

Molpy up in my pants.

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:VITSSÅGEN IN MY PANTS, JA!
Quick, someone Swedify this!

VITSSÅGEN I MINA BYXOR, JA!

But if it were my pants, I think the final word ought to be NEJ! then. *shudder*

Or maybe it is VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR, JA! (That must be a sentence no Swede has ever written before.)

Tsk, tsk. You know, that's not a responsible way to carry around a roaring chainsaw, Blixtflickan.

(VITSSÅGEN I BLIXTFLICKANS BYXOR is quite a tongue twister in my pants.)

Image Blitxtflickans Byxor...

There could be another Finntroll ottification in that, of the song "Fiskarens Fiende"! But I dunno how I'd write a whole song about BlitzGirl's pants, let alone one in Swedish. :P
svenman wrote:Yes, I'd already figured you put in the "ja" to prop up the syllable count. However, listening to the Finntroll youtube video I'm under the impression that I'm hearing "trollhammaren" with four distinct syllables (a particularly clear instance is at 3:10). But even the fact that we are in disagreement shows that the audible difference is very small anyway, and the version without the "ja" certainly is closer to the syntactical structure of the original song.

Yeah, I suppose it could also work with the "ja"s. Would make BlixtFlickan happy too :P. I just tried to stay truer to the original, syntactically if not syllabically.
svenman wrote:Also, I've already had a hunch that the Swedish is a bit dodgy even in the original song, which mikrit pretty much confirmed. However, I'd left the parts of the lyrics alone that were identical to the original song, and we don't need to remove too much grammatical mustard if we want to stay true to the original. :)

Hmm. I wonder why the Swedish is so mustarded... Some kinda Fenno-Swedish dialect? Or just because they're Finnish and don't know Swedish as well... But the (current) vocalist is actually Swedish, you'd think he'd have given some corrections!
svenman wrote:The difference is because "en svarta träd" (a black tree) is indefinite, while the One True Thread is very definite indeed and therefore the Swedish translation gets the definite suffix: "den enda sanna tråden" - the definite article "den" only needs to be added in front too because of the presence of "enda" and "sanna".

Aha, yeah that was what I guessed. Definitives and suchlike. I put two and two together in that regard as soon as I saw the title change to Vitssågen, and of course noticing the original is "Trollhammaren. ;)
lmjb1964 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:So we should end all our sentences with "without pants"?

859: Megan: Do you think there are other rivers without pants?

1005: Cueball: We haven"t walked very far without pants.

1096: Megan: Oh. The river is even bigger than it looked without pants.

Image We've opened up a whole new can of possibilities here!

@azule - "Assumptions" was HILARIOUS! Here's another song along those lines that I was reminded of.
DrSamCarter wrote:I just watched Adam Hills' show "The Last Leg", screening here in the antipodes about 2 weeks after it was shown in the UK. They had a segment in which Brian May -- from the rock group Queen -- was at a protest meeting where he presented a recording protesting a proposed badger cull ... and as the music proceeded I realised it was ....

Drum roll ....

Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!

(Well, actually it was a version of MrWeebls Badger song ... only rather mustardy, IMHO).

I have to say that -- for many reasons -- yappobiscuit's version is considerably more steakish and, indeed, wingish.

Yeah, in the UK we're all well aware of this new version of Badgers, it's been thrown around all over the place ;). If there were ever to be a molpy cull (Randall forbid!) I'd have to do a version of that one too! :P
Flado wrote:Quick blindpost to wish Yappo happy 1080p!
:roll:

Heh, thanks, I never thought of that one :P
mikrit wrote:Oh, I was reading Yappo's collection of pants while was on the tram and I almost laughed out loud. (Then I continued reading as I crossed the street and almost walked into a biker. This thread The outside is dangerous.)

FTFY :P. That's what happens when you carelessly let the dangerous outside interfere with your OTTing!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

For HES. Apparently hamplies don't need to travel by hamply ball anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N87uxyDQT0

Some Ways to Time

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Well, the good news is your advice worked (in Firefox 17). The bad news: I was so excited to test it out that I inadvertently ninja'd my 15 newpixbots and broke a ninja stealth streak of 45 NP. :cry: At least I got the Ninja and Ninja Strike badges. :D

Stats:
Spoiler:
I only play at work and have been closing the tab whenever I need to leave my desk for more than a newpix, so that's why I was able to get such a long ninja stealth streak. Although, if I keep that up, it'll take decades to reach T** **D.

Total Sand Dug: 15,168,895.4
Sand Dug by Hand: 1,025,774
Sand Clicks: 15,984
Sand per Click: 48.7
Total Sand Spent: 326,927

Total Castles Built: 18,984
Total Castles Destroyed: 2,168
Total Castles Spent: 15,804

NewPixBot delay: 333.3mNP
Ninja Stealth Streak: 0NP
Ninja Forgiveness Available: 0

Times Loaded: 8
mNP since last autosave: 12
Times Saved: 45

Notifications Received: 2,678

Sand Tools Owned: 51
Castle Tools Owned: 30
Boosts Owned: 30
Badges Earned: 47

Global Sand/mNP multiplier: 241%
[Redacted]: 95
Last edited by slinches on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”