Schoolgirls and boys w/behavioral problems

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Ginger

Schoolgirls and boys w/behavioral problems

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 am UTC

When I went to school the administration didn't have much patience for my behavioral problems. And I'm not going to say where they came from or anything just: On top of being bullied for having retainers and braces and glasses and not looking appropriate for school. Just: Then I'd get rules lawyers coming around to restrict me from school activities, the other students excluding me from clubs/cliques/groups... and I know part of those things are just high school's way. But. If a school never, ever has sympathy for schoolgirls (and boys) that act out sometimes then... how they gonna go to high school, or, even college? And you can still be harassed as an adult in college for displaying your body AT ALL as a school girl/woman. AND I'M NOT talking about doing sexy things at all. Just: Even making one comment can send you to the principal, wearing something You Had No Ideas was against dress codes... things like those.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

CelticNot

Re: Schoolgirls and boys w/behavioral problems

Postby CelticNot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:18 pm UTC

The bitter and cynical part of me says it's because the goal of school isn't as much education as socialization. They're trying to make young folks into people who frequently take work home with them, sit silently and don't talk back, obey orders immediately... there's no sympathy for anyone having difficulty fitting into the system because there's no tolerance for adults who don't either. Be a cog or go to hell.

The reality is more complex, but I'm both old enough to wonder what the hell possesses youngsters to wear what they do on a daily basis, and young enough to think that the administrators who spend an inordinate amount of time disciplining people for what they choose to wear are perhaps focusing on the wrong thing and maybe, just maybe, ought to be replaced with someone a bit more forward-minded.
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:27 am UTC

Yes, young girls wear... sc-scandalous things. It's true. I've... seen girls' thongs and boys' boxers and I WASN'T TRYING. That said, school rule books are long and complex and... I not a lawyer. So when the other students want to exclude you they often get away with it because... you were breaking rules with your spaghetti straps on your strappy tops, or whatever. Or glasses or braces make you a freaky girl. Heaven forbid you need posture help or you'll get back braces comments.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Chen

Postby Chen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm UTC

Most dress codes are just standard prudishness, much of which is based on religion in much of the US, as an example. There can be value in dress codes, in making it so that poorer kids dont feel as bad about not being able to afford the top designer clothes and all. Realistically this only works if the uniforms are provided else you've just added an extra expense for people to but clothes they probably wont use except for school.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:18 pm UTC

Well, we're focusing too much on dress codes, my fault though I brought it up. I shall say: Yes, it is good to like, police kids so they don't form gangs base on clothes or classism base on clothes. That said... there should be... freedom of expression especially in public schools. And I wasn't allow to freely express... growing into a young woman, acting out at all, if I say word one to my teacher in a friendly way he assumes I'm flirting? And other students won't let you into their groups because. You look too nerdy, too slutty whatever.

Return to “School”