Risus: the anything rpg

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

shalbamo

Risus: the anything rpg

Postby shalbamo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:36 am UTC

So I just wanted to see if anyone else here is as much a Risus fan as I. If not, I'll try and explain it as best I can.

Risus: the anything RPG is a tabletop Role-playing game with an interesting character system. It actually doesn't rely on stats at all, or at least not in the traditional sense. It is an Engine, so it is without any kind of actual setting.

The way character creation works is very simple. Players choose a name, description, and several special things called cliches. A cliche , put simply, is something your character can do, a bit like feats but more versatile. A cliche can be anything the player desires, as long as the GM approves. A player can also have as many cliches as they want.
For example, if your character is a samurai/detective, some of his cliches might be Deduction, Sword fighting, Brooding, etc.
Each player is given ten d6's to assign to his cliches. The amount of dice represents how well he can do that thing. He can assign them however he wants, but he must give at least one of his dice to each. So our previous example, the samurai/detective, might have Deduction(5), Sword fighting(4), and Brooding(1). A cliche CANNOT have more than six points.
During play, a player can use his cliches to accompish things. If, in the game, the player needed to make some food, he could use his Chef(3) cliche. The GM then decides on an appropriate difficulty level to doing that task (unless he says it is an instant success). The player then has to roll a D6 for each point in that cliche. In that instance, he has three points in Chef, so he rolls three dice. If the sum of the dice are equal or more than the difficulty level, he succeeds, if not, he fails.
One thing I like about Risus is combat. Combat isn't actually limited to fighting, but just means any sort of skirmish or competition, like an argument, contest. court hearing, etc.
The traditional turn-based idea is kept, except instead of using predetermined attacks, he must use his cliches. A player can use any cliche that the GM deems appropriate (He can also opt to use INappropriate cliches, but this involves some rules I won't delve into great detail about). Long story short, the opposing players roll dice of the cliche they picked, and the greatest outcome is the winner of that round. The loser then subtracts one die from the cliche he used (making it harder to win in future rounds), and gets ready for round two. If ANY of his cliches get down to zero, he loses the combat.
Leveling up happens at the end of each session. Any cliches that were used significantly are rolled, and if all dice come up even, he gets an extra die.

That's basically it. It's such a rules-light game that the entire handbook is six pages long. And that's really what makes it so much fun.

Here's a link to the Risus homepage:

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm

BoomFrog

Re: Risus: the anything rpg

Postby BoomFrog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:09 am UTC

For me it's too simple. There are a dozen or so systems like this with just a backbone, but no legs to run with and no meat to make it attractive. Ok, that analogy got gross fast. But anyway, if your going to play this you might as well go all the way and just have the PC's describe their character and to if they attempt something challenging roll a d20 and the DM sets the target number based on how hard it seems like it should be for the character to be able to accomplish that action. With extra low target numbers for things that are cool, funny, or creative. If you do something you've done in past adventure then the GM should lower the DC because your experienced.

So roughly: With -1 to -5 if you've practiced this thing previously during sessions.

Easy 5 - computer nerd doing something clever with a computer, pesky kid shooting someone in the ass with his slingshot, lawyer knowing relevant laws, Mr. resourceful, rigging a timed distraction device from a paperclip a stick and some gum.

Medium 10 - Smart guy doing something clever with a computer, Thug punching out a dude. Burglar sneaking past a guard, lawyer winning his case, Mr resourceful rigging a fire or bomb, Pesky kid escaping ropes.

Hard 15 - Pesky Kid doing something clever with the computer, Thug sneaking past a guard, Super spy agent hanging from a rope over the pressure sensitive floor and downloading the data before the temperature sensor picks up his presence.

Impossible 19 - Dumb blond doing something clever with the computer,
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

shalbamo

Re: Risus: the anything rpg

Postby shalbamo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:For me it's too simple. There are a dozen or so systems like this with just a backbone, but no legs to run with and no meat to make it attractive. Ok, that analogy got gross fast. But anyway, if your going to play this you might as well go all the way and just have the PC's describe their character and to if they attempt something challenging roll a d20 and the DM sets the target number based on how hard it seems like it should be for the character to be able to accomplish that action. With extra low target numbers for things that are cool, funny, or creative. If you do something you've done in past adventure then the GM should lower the DC because your experienced.

So roughly: With -1 to -5 if you've practiced this thing previously during sessions.

Easy 5 - computer nerd doing something clever with a computer, pesky kid shooting someone in the ass with his slingshot, lawyer knowing relevant laws, Mr. resourceful, rigging a timed distraction device from a paperclip a stick and some gum.

Medium 10 - Smart guy doing something clever with a computer, Thug punching out a dude. Burglar sneaking past a guard, lawyer winning his case, Mr resourceful rigging a fire or bomb, Pesky kid escaping ropes.

Hard 15 - Pesky Kid doing something clever with the computer, Thug sneaking past a guard, Super spy agent hanging from a rope over the pressure sensitive floor and downloading the data before the temperature sensor picks up his presence.

Impossible 19 - Dumb blond doing something clever with the computer,

But with something like that, Imo, there's really only a few ways it could be modded. I think a game has to have a little more to it then that. One of the things I like about Risus (full name Risus Sardonicus by the by) is that there are hundreds of settings and alternate rules made by fans spread out over the internet, from things like "burning" cliches (Cliches that can be used up to pump other cliches), to rules for double dice (You know, those things?). Just my opinion. You may think differently.

Return to “Gaming”